I recently got requests for a healthy tiramisu recipe and here it is! These tiramisu yogurt cups have everything you love about tiramisu. The espresso-dipped lady fingers, the smooth cream, the dusting of cacao powder and if desired, the shot of liquer. Nothing beats a classic tiramisu for me. However, these tiramisu yogurt cups are ready in one third of the time and a healthier alternative.
Plus, this is a delicious variation of tiramisu where you don’t need to worry about the raw eggs.
You will need:
whipping cream or coconut milk
Notes about this recipe:
– I made these tiramisu yogurt cups in mini glass jars I recycled which makes 8 small cute servings (they’re actually yogurt jars from a local brand – I just took off the label). Of course, you can use bigger jars, but the yield will be smaller.
– When making tiramisu, I make my espresso fresh using my De’Longhi Eletta Espresso Machine. It grinds the coffee beans with each cup you make so you always have the freshest coffee. Using my Eletta speeds up the recipe prep time, instead of having to wait for a large pot of espresso to brew.
– Mascarpone cheese: I’m sure many people will agree with me when I say that there is no substitution for mascarpone in a tiramisu. This creamy Italian cheese is what makes the tiramisu. So of course you may swap it for whip cream, cream cheese, dairy-free cheese, but it won’t taste like classic tiramisu cream.
– No need to worry about raw eggs in this recipe since I’ve completely eliminated in this cream. I know that many people are worried about that when eating tiramisu and some even temper the eggs. No raw eggs here friends!
You need these tiramisu cups in your life!
Tiramisu Yogurt Cups (serves 8)
- +/- 20 lady fingers
- 2-3 shots of espresso
- 1 ounce Tia Maria liquer (optional)
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2-3 tbsp icing sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- cacao powder for topping
- Make espresso and set aside to cool. If using liquer, add to espresso.
- In a stand mixer or in a bowl with a hand mixer, whip mascarpone with icing sugar and vanilla.
- Once whipped, add greek yogurt and whip again to combine.
- Cut lady fingers and dip in espresso.
- In small jar or cup, layer espresso-dipped lady fingers and yogurt cream until cup is full. Sprinkle cacao powder on each layer of yogurt cream and on the last top layer. Enjoy!